Dr. Alan Dorris founded Dorris and Associates in 1982.
The firm consults with clients in the areas of product safety, human factors, and ergonomics. For more than thirty years, he has conducted research and consulted with clients around the world on issues of safety communications.
Dr. Dorris is a certified Human Factors Professional and a member of numerous professional societies. For more than 25 years, he has served on the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z535 Committee that promulgates voluntary, consensus warning standards and was formerly the Chairman of the Z535.4 subcommittee that developed the national standard for product safety signs and labels.
Prior to founding DAI, Dr. Dorris was formerly on the faculty of the University of Oklahoma and served as Corporate Manager of Product Safety for the J.I. Case Company.
- Bachelor of Industrial Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA (1970)
- M.S., Industrial Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA (1972)
- Ph.D., Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology; Atlanta, GA (1974)
Professional Affiliations & Service
- ANSI Z535 Committee on Safety Signs and Labels
- Member, 1979 to present
- Chairman of ANSI Z535.4 Subcommittee, 1979 to 1985
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES)
- Chairman, Safety Technical Group, 1983 to 1985
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE)
- Member, T-2 Agricultural Safety Committee, 1983 to 1986
- PM-61 Human Factors Committee, 1986 to 1989
- National Safety Council (NSC)
- The Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), Senior Member
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Georgia Institute of Technology School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Academy of Distinguished Engineering Alumni, Georgia Institute of Technology College of Engineering
- Certified Human Factors Professional; Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics, No. 535